Monday, March 17, 2008

Gathering Protein with Mask, Fins, Snorkel and Pole Spear

I've been snorkeling in Barbados. I'm not on vacation, I'm being paid to be here. (Sorry, can't help rubbing it in a little.) It occurred to me that these are tools often overlooked by foragers. 

In various places, I've collected and eaten quite a few species of fish as well as lobsters, clams, octopi, mussels, scallops, limpets, snails, sea urchins, turtles, seaweeds and other aquatic plants.

One could keep oneself fed reasonably well almost anywhere there's water warm enough to swim in with just a mask, snorkel, fins and a pole spear. Fringe benefits: Snorkeling'll entertain you and clean you up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard you had a blog, thought I'd drop by to visit. Thanks for sending word!

aaron_fsp